Basic Mold Facts
Molds are a natural part of the environment. Outdoors, molds and their fungus are an important partin breaking down natures debris like leaves and dead trees. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores which are invisible to the naked eye and float throughout the air both indoors and outdoors. There are many types of molds and none of them will grow without water or moisture.
According to the EPA, mold growing indoors should be avoided. Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have a potential to cause health problems. The most common reactions to mold indoors are: irritations of the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.
Molds are simple, microscopic organisms that are found virtually everywhere
While all homes have some mold, some just have too much and can become an issue
Exposure to mold is usually through inhalation
With extensive mold contamination, allergic reactions, asthma episodes, infections, and
other respiratory problems can occur in individuals
Infants, children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems are more at risk for adverse health effects of mold and mold spores
Some types of molds produce mycotoxins (a toxic substance produced by molds) and are more harmful than others
Molds can gradually destroy the things they grow on. The longer it grows, the more damage it can cause
Molds give off an unexplained “moldy, musty, or yeasty” smell can be a sign of hidden mold on the backside of wallpaper, paneling, or tiles
Molds may cause staining and cosmetic damage on surfaces
PLEASE NOTE: Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, therefore, the EPA suggests that it is simply not enough to kill the mold, it must also be removed